Monday, March 3, 2008

Musings on religion and news round-up

Lately I have been thinking about religion. I grew up in an ELCA Lutheran home, going to church almost every Sunday, really involved in church activities. I loved it. But now that I am in college, i am finding that the religion of my youth is not very fulfilling. I joined Jewish Cultural Organization and found the Jewish faith, with its reliance on traditions and ritual to be very beautiful. But I also find some of the Wiccan beliefs very beautiful as well. Is it possible to reconcile all these influences?

I have been having trouble believing that a human really came back to life from the dead. Yeah, Jesus was cool and all, even maybe the coolest man to walk the earth. I like love. But rising from the dead?

I have looked into some of the history of the Gospels, and I am really having trouble trusting some of the early church fathers and their seemingly arbitrary choice of gospel. I have been reading fictional accounts which portray Jesus as a married man (yes, to Mary Magdalene) and I find these accounts more... believable, realistic, more in line with what my heart imagines Jesus of Nazareth to be.

I read a great explanation of the phrase "blessed be" in the Wiccan tradition-- read it and see what you think.

Are Wiccan traditions or rituals even that incompatible with Christian religion? Sure they are polytheistic, but can't those "deities" be thought of as different manifestations or understandings of God, much like the Trinity? And really, anything that connects someone with a spiritual realm and a path towards goodness can't be all that bad.

And so I come to no conclusions. But isn't that life?

Today's interesting news round-up:
http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20080216/wl_canada_afp/canadapoliceshippingoffbeat_080216200359

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Purple streaks? Not sure what's going on there. Streaks are normally caused by missing areas while you're dyeing your hair, you might need two bottles instead of one if you have long hair.

I regularly dye my hair at home. I also have brown hair, and I dye it to an auburn brown (not a drastic change, but enough to give it shine and something different). Do you regularly dye your hair red or is this your first time? You might be trying to change your hair color too drastically.