Wednesday, March 5, 2008

The continued saga of my hair and a recent obsession of mine

So, I have been dying my hair with the SAME dye for, like, two years now. And now it turns my hair purple. I apply the coloring a little unevenly so I get some fancy highlights and lowlights (it's only about two shades off my natural color), and the lowlights turned purple. My stylist had two suggestions: 1) color-correction, at way too much money to contemplate; or 2) wash my hair with some horribly cheap and bad for you shampoo. Since I am a college student (read: dirt poor), and my stylist as back home in Memphis, her doing color-correction is not an option, and because I get paid on the 10th of the month, I have exactly $0 to buy shampoo. But there is light at the end of this oddly-colored tunnel! I normally use a shampoo that helps you retain your dye, so I washed my hair with that.... 15 times. Seriously. Until it quit feeling so absurdly plastic-y. And now I am down to only one purple streak (and a minorly plastic feeling). Maybe in a week it will be normal-looking again. The only thing I did differently this time was made sure to leave it on for the right amount of time; previously, I had included the application time in the total dying time. Won't be making that mistake again.

Thanks for everyone who gave me advice! As soon as I get paid, I'll be getting some Prell to keep on hand for emergencies like this.

Oh, in case you were wondering about my picture, I recently have become obsessed with the blog of one Pioneer Woman. One of her obsessions is Photoshopping / photography. I got really bored one day, and so I played around with some of her suggestions. If you have been living life without layers in your photos, your life has been really dull. Or at least your pictures have been. I love how that picture of me really highlights my *cough* naturally auburn hair, the same color I had attempted to dye it recently. Anyways, photography obsessions can apparently be transferred across DSL lines, so proceed to her blog at your own risk. I personally find that working on photos is a much better use of my time than, say, working on my math homework. But that's just me.

1 comment:

Leigha said...

I'm sorry to hear about your hair coloring misfortune, but at least it's getting better! I mean, you can always tell people you wanted a change and it's MEANT to be purple. haha!
Thanks for your comment on my blog!
Oh, and I <3 the Pioneer Woman's blog too.